A lot of people are afraid to try new things, especially sushi. Those unlucky people don’t realize what they are missing! Sushi isn’t entirely raw fish, as most people believe it to be. In fact it is processed fish that has been soaked, pickled, or blanched to add flavor.
Check out these interesting five sushi facts to convince you that sushi may be something you are missing out on.
- Sushi is NOT raw fish: Despite popular perceptions, sushi is not raw fish. Raw fish is sashimi. Sushi is a food that uses rice seasoned with sweet-rice vinegar. Raw fish is often used in sushi but the main element is rice.
- High Nutritional Value: A lot of people go to sushi restaurants for its great taste and high nutritional content. Sushi has healthy rice and vegetables, filled with excellent carbohydrates. The sushi wrapping is also rich in vitamins and minerals. Like other fish, sushi is high in protein and low in fat.
- Various Types: Most people don’t realize that there is more than one kind of sushi. Each kind has different ingredients, next time you hit the sushi bar, try them all! You might just find a new favorite.
- Fresh & Healthy: Chefs at Japanese restaurants inspect every piece of fish to ensure each piece served at the sushi bar is fresh and healthy.
- History of Enjoyment: Sushi has been eaten around the world for a long time. Since the 7th century, Chinese and Japanese individuals have enjoyed sushi. It wasn’t until the last 40 years that sushi became popular in the US. Today, you can’t find a town without a sushi bar, and many Japanese restaurants even offer a sushi happy hour!
Now that you know about sushi, it is time to start enjoying it. Stop by Kabuki, a Japanese restaurant that specializes in delicious sushi. Whether you have never had sushi or are a sushi lover, Kabuki’s sushi bar and sushi happy hour will have you coming back for more.